Sunday, June 13, 2010

Mary Dennis- NCSP School Psychologist


So another school year has come to a close and I look back on now 4 years of my profession as a School Psychologist. I am learning and learning and learning more and more each year. I still feel this is more of a calling than a "job." I've been able to see the hand of the Lord in so many ways and I've felt my prayers answered in behalf of sweet children and more fully begin to understand how the atonement can give us hope, and in situations where that is all that can be clung to- it can be enough. I've seen tears and heard stories that make me hurt and it's amazing for most of all those I've seen the hope and simple faith of childhood that things are going to be okay. As it seems there is opposition truly in all things, along with these sweet memories, I have been in the heat of many professional battles advocating for children. Some have not been pretty and I have learned that even adults have tantrums. Professionalism isn't always found in the field of education and I have been faced with some ugly situations, but I've held firm to my professional conduct and have received many compliments from those in my field about how I handle these people and situations. I think most importantly though, at the end of the day what I'm happy about and how I know I have made a difference is looking back on the relationships I have built with students and the progress (sometimes just millimeters) they make. I remember being faced with the decision of graduate school or a mission. I felt and still feel my choice was inspired and that in some form or another this profession and the direction it takes me will always be apart of my life.

3 comments:

Marci said...

What a great message Mary! I truly believe that you are making a huge impact on the lives of the students you work with! I just know your optimistic personality is rubbing off on your students and co-workers! :) I think you are awesome! Oh, and yes, I think we need to go on a hike or two next time I am up! :)

Kiley said...

Way to go! You have done so much for kids (and others)!

paxtonfam said...

Cheers to summer! Yeah! It was nice seeing you on Sunday!