Saturday, July 18, 2009

Life as a Sultan & Istanbul's Portobello Road


So this week I discovered the luxurious life of a sultan...

Topkapi Palace

The oldest in the Ottoman Empire, Topkapi palace strikes you as an old fairy tale. Elaborate sculptured architecture with gold accents, and the famous blue Ottoman tile is a work of art. The best part of this palace could not be photographed- the treasury. Wow! I've only heard of so much gold, diamonds, and other precious jewels- especially from the 15th century. The Ottoman empire was very wealthy. The place is divided into 4 courts and then the Harem, getting more private and richly elaborate from court to court. From the 4th court (only the Sultan could be in this court) the views of the Bosphorus and Istanbul are amazing.

Dolmabahce Palace

After standing in line for an hour and then walking in with an Arabic group, having someone discover I don't speak Arabic, and then having to wait another 20 minutes for an English group I was able to see the famous Dolmabahce palace. This palace was more recent and modern in its style but just as if not more luxurious for its time. Picture taking inside the palace was Forbidden so I was not able to take pictures of the exquisitely decorated gold ceilings and crystal piano, and detailed architectual sculpuring. The grand ball room will blow anyone away- so incredibly beautiful. A guy in my group, who had been touring Europe, said it was the most amazing palace he has seen in all of Europe. The palace had lovely gardens and was built right on the coast of the Bosphorus. The most memorable part of this day was the huge rain storm that hit while I was leaving. I searched for cover and saw some people running towards the phone booths. I ran after them and found a booth for me which I stood in for the next 20 minutes remembering a conversation with Brad about how an umbrella would not be necessary in Istanbul because it never rains- ha!

Portobello Road

While Brad was schmoozing with some academics they led us to this road full of used bookstores and imediately reminded me of Portobello road as seen in Bedknobs and Broomsticks. The best part was that there were cats everywhere laying on books and in boxes of pictures. I looked for a magic book but no luck:) But I did haggle for a used book that looks interesting despite what Angie has written about it Tess of the D'ubervilles. I seem to like books with strong villanous women. By the way the academics Brad was schmoozing with introduced him (via phone) to all of there high ranking government friends in the middle east and then proposed a TV interview and talked publishing. They told me we might have to come back to Turkey because Brad will be famous (hmmmm I don't know about that.)

A few more dinners with friends.

All of our friends here seem to be vegetarian so we've enjoyed some good vegetarian meals with our Irish neighbor -Jon who has the best Dubblin accent, and our friends from Harvard. The power went out while we were dining once and the owners brought us out a candle to have some light. What a memory.

2 comments:

A said...

Tess has a nasty turning point. but since you bought it I'll let you weather it without criticism. The beginning was fantastic, Thomas Hardy is an incredible writer. He's brilliant but has an anger at society that will rear its ugly head.

I still hold that its a MUCH more realistic version of Twilight and that Stephanie Meier merely modernized her plot to be a fairy tale where feminism still doesn't exist....

You pics are stunning, and it looks like you are having a fabulous job there.

Well if Brad becomes famous and you become regulars in Turkey then I'll have another chance to visit you there.

Hope Italy is great.

-A

Marci said...

Wow, that palace was pretty interesting...everything is so ornate! It looks like you are still having a wonderful time...and I'm glad to live the adventures with you through your blog! :) BTW...when are you coming home?