Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Ankara, Bosphorus University, & The Grand Bazzar



Weekend in Ankara

It has been a busy past week! Last Thursday we headed out of the city on a bus to Ankara (the capital of Turkey) for Brad's research conference. Getting out of the city was alot more of a hassle then you might think because there are only three ways over to the Asian side of Istanbul- two bridges and by ferry. With 17million people plus tourists going back and forth every day it was quite busy but quite organized. We took the ferry which was idyllic because of the breeze and great pictures of the city and sites. Once we got to Asia we got tickets for a luxury bus to Ankara complete with air conditioning, icecream, treats and beverages. 8.5 hours after we left our apartment we arrived at the Deiderman Hotel where the conference put us up. It was my first time in a 5 star hotel and I suppose I expected alot more- but then I had the food and I understood- Yumm! So Brad took off to his conference the next day and left me a lone wife to chill in the hotel and explore Ankara. After taking advantage of the fitness center and watching Rachel Ray in Turkish I ventured out to downtown Ankara. Having no map or ablitity to say anything in Turkish besides hello, I was in search of a beauty salon where I could get a pedicure (I'm really not this pampered girl who gets pedicures all of the time but when you travel you can't be caring around your personal pedicure set). So I wandered about and just when I was about to hate the Turkish for their lack of salons- I found a sign for a manikur and pedikur. Yeah! it was my own personal miracle and a customer even spoke English inside to help me set up an appointment. I had a bit until my appointment so I decided to get lunch. I found a quaint outdoor restaurant and ordered something I had never had before Iskender Kabob- recommended by my quide book. When it came out I thought- what did I order- but then I thought of what people must think when they first get American food. So I tried it with and open mind and....it was very good. So I was very proud of myself ordering food and a pedicure all by myself without speaking a bit of Turkish. The next day I attended the conference with Brad and got to see him present- he was so elequent and did a great job. I now understand more of his research and the importance it has on this region. Other professors liked his presentation too and quoted his research as the conference continued. After the conference we were treated to a 4 course most amazing meal at the 5 star restaurant and spent the rest of the afternoon in utter content. The next day the conference hosted a tour of the historic city starting with a tour of the Mosoleum of Attaturk (their George Washington) who overthrew the Ottoman empire and set up a democracy in 1923. The architecture of his memorial was much like the Lincoln Memorial. From there we went to Old Ankara and dined in a Historic hourse converted Museum and Restaurant. Then we checked out the Ankara Museum of Ancient Civilization and saw really cool old things. Our final stop was a Mosque built in the 1200s and then afternoon tea and drinks in an idyllic cafe. We left the next morning already missing the hotels continentel breakfast as soon as we left. It took 9 hours to get all the way back to our apartment- yuck- but on the way I did find a Mavi Jeans store (best jeans ever) and got some for an incredibly great deal. At home we decided we were both done with Turkish food for the time being and happily found a fun pizza restaraunt that tasted American- yum.

Bosphorus University

So after walking around for hours (literally!) and trying to figure out where we pay our water and electric bill we decided to go to Bosphorus University. And awe what a haven it was. Up in the luciously green hills with all of the city sounds, and sweltering heat far below. Brad said this was the most beautiful University Campus, and yes I do agree. I don't know anywhere that can compare to walking to school with amazing views of the Bosphorus. Wow. I think this may be my favorite spot in Istanbul. While we were enjoying the views we met a very kind Turk who gave me a good luck charm- I'm pointing to it on my shirt, to ward off the evil eye, and told us about his Istanbul. When we reached campus I was so happy to see grass! The kind of grass that says "kick off your shoes and take a nap on this cool carpet." It was a site for sore eyes of being in a huge city and seeing only concrete each day. We even played some card games. A lovely afternoon.

The Grand Bazzar

So today after a walk to the Archives and doing some research, Brad treated me to a visit to the Grand Bazzar. This is the famous location of peddling and bargaining that Istanbul has been the home of since the Silk Road. Famously old, huge, and full of merchandise that is undescribable as well as sales men with determination, it is a huge tourist attraction. Unfortunately I found it too big with too much of a selection and too hot. I much prefer a smaller store with 50 purses to choose from instead of 500. How can you enjoy shopping when you are overwhelmed with choices. Doesn't work for me. But Brad gets the award as the sweetest husband as he followed me from shoe store to purse store to shoe store probably bored out of his mind, tired, and hot. What a sweet guy.

2 comments:

A said...

Love your pics! So fun! and you couldn't be enticed to scrapbook them? What a fun adventure with so many new and exciting things to do! PS I'm dying to see your mavi's!

Karey said...

Hi, I need some details on the LDS branch in Istanbul. Our foreign exchange student, an 18 year old boy from Istanbul, just left to go home and needs information about the church in Istanbul. I don't know if you're still there or if you have any information, but I'd love to know where it meets, the name of the branch president and the names of the couple missionary from Bountiful. You can reach me at traviskareywhite@juno.com. Thanks for any light you can shed on the church situation there. Karey