Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Fridge Fiasco


This week brought some interesting events. Sunday morning (Halloween mind you) our freezer stopped working. We happen to have a pink "vintage" 1960s GE Refrigerator with roll out freezer so we figured this would happen sometime. After dealing with the immediate crisis and getting the frozen food safely to my parents freezer we began the ordeal of trying to find a new refrigerator that fit our space. Why refrigerators are so huge now is beyond me but after a day of looking at dozens of refrigerators in a few different stores we found 1- that's right only 1 that would work. It didn't even entirely fit our criteria but sacrifices had to be made. After a slight emotional breakdown because of all of the favorite aspects of our fridge that would now be lost, I succombed to logical reality and decided the new but boring Frigidaire refrigerator would have to do. But then our freezer started working again!!!!!! Miracle!!!! And has continued working and though we realize it may go out again and soon we are standing by the notion- "if it's not broke don't fix it."So we will see how long our vintage refrigerator will take us, in the meantime I realize that my retro-modern kitchen is one of my favorite aspects about our condo and it's not very likely to have the same fun kitchen and appliances in our future homes. So for now I'm happy to have the time to be Betty Crocker with my matching pink GE 1960's appliances.


A Butter Conditioner- can't find that in a small fridge

I don't even know if any shelves swing out any more.

A turntable crisper is so much more fun then regular drawers.

2 comments:

Kiley said...

That is a cool fridge! Let's keep our fingers crossed for it!

Marci said...

Wow, that is a nice fridge...and what a miracle that the freezer began to work again. I hope it continues to work for a long time. :)