Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Soup Compromise


Nothing warms you up more on a cold day like a bowl of home made soup. Soup is in fact one of my favorite things about winter. I remember coming home to the smell of mom's homemade soups and the smell just warming up my day. One soup that I love is Clam Chowder- my mom's recipe! But ever since Brad has developed severe lactose intolerance I have stopped making creamy soups and creamy everything else. I never realized how many comfort foods contain lactose and though I have experimented with all types of lactose free milk bases the only thing he can really have is soy milk which does not make the greatest substitute. So the other day after a lajor craving I decided I would make my yummy clam chowder and invite over some family because it makes a ton and for the first time in our married life I left Brad to fend for himself. After realizing fending for himself meant a can of tomato soup I started to feel bad and did some research. It turns out we could make with the same ingredients Manhattan Clam Chowder which has a tomato base so he could enjoy too. So we made two soups with the same amount of work and they were both delicious! This little discovery, silly as it is, has made my weekend! This means at least this creamy soup is back in my life without any sense of guilt for Brad missing out.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Nice! I would love your recipe for the Manhatten style one!

Marci said...

Nicely done Mary! I am very proud of you finding a solution to your problem! I'm glad to hear all is going well for you!

paxtonfam said...

The soup looks so yummy! Also, I'm glad to hear of your freezer working again. Our freezer did the exact same thing. It quit working just as we were leaving out of town. We threw away everything and left it outside to dry out. We came back, plugged it in, and it started working. (Knock on some wood.) Let's toast to working old freezers. :)