Friday, June 19, 2009

The Joy of Jet Lag -Day 3

So it is now almost 12:00 in Istanbul and thanks to my 4 hour afternoon nap, because my body could just not move anymore without sleep, I am wide awake listening to Jason Mraz while Brad is sleeping. I've been exploring more of the area and reading up on the history of Turkey which helps me understand a lot of the sites and culture. I even had a vigorous conversation with Brad about the concept of nationalism in the middle east which is something he has studied for the past 3 years and I have studied for 2 days. I think that is pretty good. He got his info from PhD classes and lots of work while I got my info from a quick read in The Lonely Planet Guide Book. Well studying the guide book has made me more excited about our apartment location- as we are right by Istiklal Caddesi "the heart of modern Turkey." Seriously this is the street/shop/restaurant hangout of the whole city. Great location!

Well as it does life happened and I guess on the plane due to a sleeping pill/makeup issue I got something lodged in my eye creating a minor eye infection. So yesterday afternoon we walked to a Hospital and I saw an eye doctor where I was told to wear my glasses and use drops for five days. What an experience- I'm sure glad Brad knows how to take care of situations like this. After the doctors visit we cruised the street like the rest of the Turks and tourists and found the most charming restaurant where we dined outside with a view of a huge famous old tower- called Galato and has something to do with the Galation people.

Today we treked to the Archives (probably a 4 mile walk up and down cobblestone streets). When we finally got there we we were told it has been moved. So we walked some more blocks and found it amongst a bunch of gated governement buildings guarded by a soldier carrying a machine gun. This was somewhat a shock - you are used to officers carrying hand guns but a machine gun was alot more intimidating. Brad got his new ID badge at the Archives and then we headed back to the apartment - this time on the Metro. Istanbul has a very well developed Metro system and my brother Jon would be truly impressed with the huge pulley that gets the metro up those steep hills. Waking back to the apartment we stopped at a cafe for borek a most delicious pastry filled with cheese or meet -somewhat like a sausage roll. Back at the apartment - exhausted I took a 4-5 hour nap- which would have been 1 am Salt Lake time while Brad worked. The weather has been just lovely, mostly because we are located by the sea with a nice cross breeze. For dinner we checked out the corner market and I was pleased to find some familiar vegetables and cooking ingredients. We got these cookies called Biscotti (short bread cookies filled with rich dark chocolate). I will have to bring some home for people to try. They were just delicious. With the help of the guidebook I am now making a list of all the things I want to see and do here in Istanbul seeing a "football" game and shopping are on the list, while I am also trying to have an adventuresome view of trying new foods. We will see what tomorrow brings.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Sorry you're dealing with jet lag...but I guess that will pass eventually. Have fun exploring and getting to know the area...I'm so jealous! :)

A said...

Sounds like you are acclimating! Glad to hear it. I LOVE Biscotti from here, so I'm sure turkish biscotti is 100 x better! Its the best with hot chocolate in the winter!