Saturday, June 20, 2009

Turkish Baklava vs. Bad's Baklava

So today we took it easy and hung out at our apartment most of the day. I figured out how to do laundry in a Turkish washing machine and found it takes quadruple the time of the washing machine I have at home. And instead of a dryer we have a huge rack that takes up most of the space. It would have been kind of fun to have a line outside connecting to the next building like most of the locals. It would probably dry faster too. I am discovering the joy of fresh baked bread every day- sometimes even a couple times every day. A loaf cost about 25 cents and is delicious with fresh fruit and veggies. Apparently tomatoes and cucumbers grow like weeds over here and so you eat them a lot because they are so cheep. We put together a Greek salad complete with olive oil and feta type (sharp!) cheese. Brad has been working on a paper he presents next week and I have been planning out the sites I want to see as well as studying the latest research in my field- I was told once in a conference "Professionals never stop educating themselves." Anyhow I think I am getting more used to Istanbul including the time change! and am really coming to enjoy the food and nightlife. I tried a new pasta cheese dish for dinner and discovered dark chocolate/nutella filled borek (a filo pastry)-Angie you would love this! Then we cruised Istiklal with the rest of the Turks and tourists and discovered a dessert bar. Just looking in the windows made your mouth water. I tried the Turkish baklava but was somewhat dissapointed as it was made with Pistachios instead of almonds or walnuts. Brad's baklava is still my favorite.

1 comments:

paxtonfam said...

You are so lucky to have this opportunity for adventure! Sounds like you are having a great time! I hope you are safe over there and make some good memories :)