Monday, August 4, 2008

Ethiopian Food



So saturday Brad and I doubled with my friend Maria (from BYU) and her boyfriend. We celebrated our last weekend in DC at an Ethiopian restaurant in Adams Morgan- which seems to be where the night scene is in DC. Ethiopian food is entirely different than anything I have ever had. The appetizer was delicious- some sort of deep fried cabbage and mashed potato. The meal came out on this big pancake crepe thing (see picture). After I looked at it for a moment I was ready to try this interesting looking thing and looked around for my fork- no fork, maybe some sort of stick thing?- no... this is African not Asian food. So I asked and Brad laughed at me and explained you eat it with your hands. What? This did not look like finger food to me. So I mimicked what he did and tore off part of the crepe and tried picking up the food with it. Some of the food was really good, some was different. Afterward we walked down the club strip of Adams Morgan, Maria and I spotted a bookstore we had to check out. We parted at the metro station and Brad and I took our last metro ride home in DC.

2 comments:

Kiley said...

I'm glad you enjoyed with some crazy food - I had no idea that was your last weekend. I'm excited to see you when you get back!

Hildegarde said...

The big flat pancake thing is called injera. I had some that was homemade by one of our mutual friends as an experiment. I was not a fan! But it is probably different when prepared properly.