Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Final Museum


So after 7 weeks of adventuring I have come to an end of tourism (for now). I debated in my head a while about going to this last museum. At first I really did not want to but I am very glad that I went. The National Holocaust Museum is unforgettable. I have a better understanding of how Nazi Germany came about and was reverenced by the millions of people who died because of it. What would it be like to be hated and condemned to die for your nationality, religious preference, color of your skin, having a disability, having a different lifestyle? Most of us living in the United States will never really understand. Though there is still hatred and nationalism we have built in safety structures in our government to protect each individuals basic rights. So many other countries do not have this and are still threatened by the same roots of the Holocaust. Even though we have these safeguards just like our founding fathers and civil rights activists we need to keep them working. Perhaps it is because I have surrounded myself this summer with American History, perhaps it is because I have my incredible husband who informs me about world politics, but I have developed a greater appreciation for the "one" who fights for freedoms for all people, who is informed about problems and dares to make changes, who raises their voice when they witness injustice, and mostly who has a perfect brightness of hope that all people can learn to forgive and love and the world can be a better place. I want to be the"one".

4 comments:

Erica said...

I'm super jealous that you've had such an amazing summer touring our nation's capital!! I'm sure you guys have made tons of memories you'll remember the rest of your lives. What an incredible way to end an incredible time in your lives.

Marci said...

Mary-
Very well stated. I think you can make and do make an amazing impact on people with your "one" life. You are a great example and an amazing friend!

blair and maisy said...

Is your vacation already over? The summer has flown by for me. Well, now that we have your log of things to do- we'll be prepared to visit DC when we get an opportunity. I have always really wanted to see the Holocaust museum.

The Beus Family said...

That is such a great picture. I wish I could see that museum. I wish everyone could be informed about what happened it might change somethings here.
love rozzie