Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Arlington, KramerBooks, & The Library of Congress





I started my day with a walk through Arlington Cemetery. What an incredible place, rows and rows of white tomb stones as far as the eye can see. As I walked through the cemetery I couldn't help but think about all of the War Memorials I had previously seen and especially the powerful words on the Korean memorial "Freedom is not Free." I wasn't really paying attention to the time and so was really lucky when I got to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier- it was right at the start of the changing of the guard. I was touched by the sharp clean uniforms and movements of the guards and how they honored the Unknown Soldiers. After this I took the metro over to Dupont Circle to check out DC's famous bookstore Kramerbooks & Afterwords. I had lunch in the cafe and browsed the book store. I like book stores like this more than your chain Barnes & Noble, Borders, ect. It actually reminded me of a book store Brad and I found on main street in Park City (right by Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory). We went in to do our usual browsing and found big fluffy cats walking around and even sitting on some books, it gave it such a homey feel. No cats walking around Kramerbooks but same type of atmosphere. Then I took the metro again over to the Library of Congress. I am beginning to feel very confident with the metro system. The Library of Congress was like a greek temple and artistically amazing. I took a tour and learned about all of the symbolism throughout the building. Cousin Wendy said when she was is DC she could spend hours in the Library of Congress. I guess I'm not as intellectual because I got bored with the library after a couple hours. Oh well, we all can't be mesmerized by libraries.

3 comments:

sandi said...

By the way, while you're still back east, you MUST visit Charlottesville, VA if you haven't already. It will not disappoint! Things to do/see/eat there: Monticello (Jefferson's home), a drive down Park Street (STUNNINGLY GORGEOUS) by Martha Jefferson Hospital, UVA campus (breath-taking, designed by Th. Jefferson), Milan Indian Cuisine http://www.milan-indian-cuisine.com/ THE BEST INDIAN food EVER and I'm picky!!, Ming Dynasty--the BEST Chinese food ever (have the veggie "meat" balls--holy cow! YUM), take a walk on the downtown mall (old outdoor mall, an eclectic blend of interesting folk--eat at Bizou there), catch a show by Devon Sproule and/or Paul Carreri (can Google them), see African drummers (normally on the downtown mall). Catch a photography exhibit at Photo Arts (right off the downtown mall) Seriously guys! Charlottesville is THE PLACE to visit! I consider it my hometown, so I'm somewhat biased, but still. It's green, it's gorgeous, it's cultural. You two would surely love it. Okay, I'll stop there...but if you want more info feel free to email me: reggaemylitis (at) gmail (dot) com

Kiley said...

I loved Arlington too . . . and the Library of Congress - just like Wendy. There was just such an amazing feel at Arlington!

Marci said...

You know Mary....I don't know if I could spend hours at the LIbrary of Congress either....if that makes me NOT an intellectual- so be it! That book store sounded cute...and way to go navigating the metro system! I love reading your posts...you are so expressive!