Friday, July 18, 2008

Viva L' Arts





So I spent the entire day in one museum- broken into two buildings. The National Gallery of Art is a must see whether you are an art lover or not. I happen to enjoy art and so it probably took me a lot longer than the average person. It helps to have a knowledge of greek mythology and biblical stories in order to understand a lot of early art periods. I did learn Madonna is the name used in all art depicting Mary the mother of Jesus. And the greek and roman perception of a beautiful Venus is not the skinny anoresic western view we seem to have- Go Greeks! I saw the only Da Vinci on this continent, and some other famous paitings and sculptures (Monet, Degas, VanGogh, Rodin, Veneer, and more.) I still think my favorite is the Impressionist works. Though I do love the scupltures by Rodin. The day was topped off with lunch with my friend Maria who works in the library side of the Gallery. We dined inside on the roof (it was too hot to dine outside) but still had a great view of the Mall outside. Lovely day with L'arts.

3 comments:

A said...

This is really cool! Glad you are enjoying l'arts, the photos are beautiful, I especially love the one of the Madonna.

Kiley said...

I bet you loved it! That's the perfect place for you to spend a day!

Lynn said...

Looks like you're having such a great time! I sure would love to soak up some of that classic culture. I know someone who is doing an internship at DC this summer and blogs about his excursions. It's been interesting to see you both visiting some of the same sites. I bet you will or already have crossed paths.