Monday, July 14, 2008

Oh Shenandoah I long to see you....






Or is it hear you? Anyhow this past weekend we took a trip to the Shenandoah National Park. Lucious green rolling hills with the river running through, a very beautiful valley, relatively cooler temperatures, and lots of wildlife. I can see how it inspired the famous song. We found a nice hike down to a waterfall and when we were talking to a ranger about directions he said "oh and you'll probably see a bear." What! We left on our hike and spotted a deer, some amazing colored fungus, and then sure enough a BEAR. We were walking along and I had a rock in my sandal so I sat on a rock to get it out when Brad said "Uh, there's a bear." I turned around and right in front of us was a black medium sized bear. For a moment we all just looked at each other and then Brad said we better keep walking. So we walked and talked-did what the ranger said to do, and Brad snapped a photo of the bear walking away. Whoa. Welcome to Shenandoah. We found the waterfall, it was beautiful and had an amazing view of the whole valley. I'll never forget Shenandoah!

6 comments:

Kiley said...

How cool - I'm sure you were quite scared to see that bear!

Marci said...

Holy Cow Mary...I can't believe you guys saw a bear! That is plain CRAZY! I love the pictures...I am living vicariously through you...I wish I could have fun frolicking through the woods with you and Brad! :)

Jenn said...

The pictures are great! That bear is amazing!

Jen said...

So pretty! Bears are scary though...we went camping in the back country in Yellowstone a few years ago and hardly slept because we were so afraid of bears! I love all your posts...it's fun to see what you've been up to.

Heather said...

WOW guys! I'm so jealous of all the fun things you're getting to see and do back East. I miss home and I'm glad that you're putting up so many pictures of the area...reminds me of home. Keep it up and check out our page:
www.insidemyhead-heather.blogspot.com
Miss ya!

sandi said...

Okay, your blog is fantastic! It's making me homesick (I'm from northern then central Virginia) but live in AZ now (brown dirt, yuk). I was a Russian linguist in the USAF, so can relate to Brad's top secret job, and am also LDS and have done sessions in the DC Temple. Your blog brings me a little piece of home. I just surfed into it by hitting the "Next blog" button up top; never know what little treasure you might find by doing so. Okay, back to reading....