Wednesday, July 9, 2008

A Good Walk...





So it is what the tour book said. Most of the tourist sites around DC are well spread out and require quite a bit of time to walk from site to site. For my walk I started at the Washington Monument- got my ticket to later go up in the Monument. Then I took a walk up to the WhiteHouse snapping photos of buildings and statues along the way. When I got to the WhiteHouse I thought it was smaller than in pictures but very pretty. A lot of the DC workers were having lunch outside across the street in Lafayette square. It made me laugh how they were basking in the sun when it was 92 degrees plus humidity. That is the luxury of an airconditioned work building- I guess. Needless to say I found an indoor airconditioned cafe where I had my lunch- I had a Stromboli (type of pizza in a breadstick) which was my first. After lunch I explored some museums and walked down to all of the War memorials. They were all very moving (WWII, Vietnam, and Korean) but I will never forget seeing my reflection in the Vietnam memorial, and the words of the Korean memorial "Freedom is not Free." Very powerful. Finally I was able to see and go into the Lincoln Memorial- also very moving. Lastly I made my way back up to the Washington Monument and went up in it 500 feet (I think) and looked out over the city and where I walked. At this point I was exhausted and came home. Despite the humidity and distance it was a very good walk.

3 comments:

Kiley said...

I love DC - that brings back so many memories! You're so lucky to be able to tour it all at your leisure!

Marci said...

What a historical outing! Thanks for sharing your experience and pictures!

Jenn said...

This brings back memories from my visit to DC too. Have a great trip. Miss you!